Education And Career Guidance
Education and Career Guidance (ECG) aims to enable students to
- better understand themselves,
- explore possible educational and career options,
- develop plans and make informed decisions in order to achieve their educational and career aspirations.
ECG aims to provide students with a social-emotional learning experience which will contribute to
- building students’ confidence through enhancing the self-awareness of their interests, skills, values and strengths;
- increasing their motivation for learning by helping them establish clear goals and perceiving the relevance of their school efforts;
- enhancing the ability to make effective decisions in education and career choices;
- developing 21st-century worker qualities of proactivity, adaptability and resilience to thrive in this challenging world of work
ECG activities are being planned and conducted for students at different academic levels in alignment with the ECG Developmental Model of Guidance Branch, Ministry of Education.
Secondary 1 (I Realise)
Focus: Self & Career Awareness
To assist students in finding out more about themselves with respect to their personal interests, strengths and career interests
1. Formalised ECG lessons during MVP periods for all Sec 1 classes (4 hours)
- Who am I?
- Work S.M.A.R.T.
- Career families
- If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well
2. ECG Portal lessons as post –exam activities after End-of-Year Exam for all classes in computer laboratories (self-profiling tool – Personal Globe Inventory PGI)
Secondary 2 (I Can Improve)
Focus: Career Exploration/ Awareness of Work Values & Skills/ Awareness of relevant courses of study and educational pathways
(Deepen students’ understanding of self; assist them in making decisions for their subject combination during the streaming exercise; help them work on their strengths and improve on their weaknesses to achieve academic success)
1. Formalised ECG lessons during MVP periods for all Sec 2 classes (4 hours)
- Different strokes for different folks
- Drawing connections
- Your choice matters
- It’s not just about me.
2. ECG portal lessons as post exam activities after Mid-year Exam for all classes in computer laboratories (self-profiling tools – work values & work skills)
Secondary 3 (I Can Succeed)
Focus: Career Exploration & Career Planning
(Explore the world of work; relate schooling to real-life working experiences and different educational pathways; succeed on every platform)
1. Formalised ECG lessons during MVP periods for all Sec 3 classes (4 hours)
- Why career starts with ‘T’
- A face in the crowd
- Know it, plan it, do it
- 10 years from now
2. ECG portal lessons as post exam activities after Mid-Year Exam for all classes in computer laboratories (Choosing one’s career, charting one’s pathway & setting one’s targets in order to
3. AEMs for selected Sec 3E & 3NA students during school holidays
4. Student Work Attachment Programme for Sec 3 classes in November (to be conducted by external vendor; 4 selected students from every class)
Secondary 4 & 5 (I Can Excel)
Focus: Education & Career Planning
(Develop skills in gathering information and making decisions; identify reality gaps against their educational & career aspirations; display resilience in the face of difficulty and obstacle having the end in mind – to excel in studies)
1. (a) Sec 4 Formalised ECG lessons during MVP periods for all Sec 4 classes (4 hours)
- Ink it. Not just think it.
- The future starts now.
- Connecting the dots
- It’s all in the presentation.
(b) Sec 5N Formalised ECG lessons:
- I can do all things!
- My Vision. My Future
2. Visits to polytechnics’ open houses (NP, NYP, RP, SP & TP) for 4NA, 4E & 5NA
3. Course Advising at NYP for all 4E, 5N & 4NA classes
4. Nomadic Challenge (incorporating ECG) for all 4E, 5N, 4NA & 4NT classes
5. Customised visit to ITE College Central, School of Engineering for 4AA
6. Special Talks for graduating classes:
- JAE & JPSAE Talk by NYP for 4E5N students
- PFP Talk by NYP for 4NA students
- DPA Awareness Talk by NYP for 4E5N students
- DPP Talk by ITE for 4NA students
- Talk on ‘Traineeship/ Learn As You Earn Scheme’ by ITE for 4NT students
7. Visit Serangoon Junior College’s ECG Sharing Session for 4E1 students
8. Customised DPA Workshop by NYP to prepare 4E5N students who plan to apply for DPA
ECG Portal E-careers.sg
The ecareers.sg career development portal is comprehensive and user-friendly. It is a creative tool that helps students become engaged in his own learning by helping them become aware of the relevance of education to career goals as well as develop plans to successfully achieve those goals.
Students use the system to:
- become aware of his career interests, skills and values,
- identify and learn about a wide range of careers and occupations,
- develop resumes and learn how to effectively interview for jobs,
- find a university, college and other training opportunities and,
- use an electronic portfolio to store, manage, and share all of his career information and plans.
Instructions – How to create your account in the ECG Portal?
- Go to https://ecareers.sg
- Enter your NRIC
- Enter your date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Enter your email address
- Re-enter your email address
- Click Submit
- Create and enter a permanent password
- Re-enter your permanent password, click Submit
- Your password must be between 8 and 15 characters in length. It must contain at least one character from three of the following categories:
- upper-case letters
- lower-case letters
- digits (0-9)
- special characters (!@#…)